First Time Lucky? I think Not!!

I am not really an expert at baking but I do get by. Whenever I try out something for the first time, it comes out pretty well. So I always thought that I was "First time lucky". And then i decided to test it. I wanted to know whether I was really any good. And that's how I made the Classic American Apple pie twice!! It really put my mind to rest, because it came out absolutely delicious both times.
I'm a fan of Pies, and I tried to make them once long ago, but the crust wasnt good. It was hard and chewy. So I gave up for sometime, till I found this recipie. It is an absolute treasure. The crust is flaky and sweet and just perfect! I know that readymade pie crusts are available, but I'm one of those people who feel that making (baking) something from scratch is the best way to make(Bake) it!!

Ingredients:
Crust:
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 tbsp granulated sugar
3/4 tsp salt
10 tbsp (140 gm) chilled butter cut into 1/2" pieces
6 tbsp (or more) ice water 
Filling:
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp flour
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp grated lemon peel
1/8 tsp grated nutmeg or cinnamon
3 pounds apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
Method:
Crust:
  1. Blend flour salt and sugar.
  2. Add butter and cut in until it resembles coarse meal.
  3. Add 6 tbsp of ice water and process until moist clumos form, adding more water by teaspoonfuls if the dough is dry.
  4. Gather into a ball, divide into 2 balls. Flatten to disc.
  5. Wrap in plastic and chill for 2 hours.
Filling:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degree F/200 degree C.
  2. Mix the first six ingredients in a large bowl.Add Apples and toss.
  3. Roll out one dough disc on a floured surface to an 11" round. Transfer to a 9" Pie dish. Fold the edge under forming a high standing rim.
  4. Add the apple filling, mounding it slightly in the center of the crust.
  5. Roll out the 2nd disc to a 12" round. Carefully place the rolled dough on top and pinch the edges of the top and bottom crust, turning under all around to make a thick edge.
  6. To decorate just press the edges with the back of a fork. With tips of scissors, snip 4 evenly spaced vent holes in the top crust. Brush with milk, sprinkle with sugar, and bake for 25 minutes.
  7. Reduce temp and bake till the juices bubble thickly and the crust is deep golden.
  8. Serve with your choice of icecream.
The first time I made it, the crust didnt get to the golden brown stage, I was too afraid it might burn (as seen in the picture). But the second time..

No comments:

Post a Comment