Flan

We Indians know it by Caramel Custard. I like custard, especially the one with lots of fruits in it, though I'm not a fan of the eggy custard. Ok, let's face it, if we go to any restaurant in India, this dessert is seen ordered left and right. Though I myself have ordered it only a handful of times, I wasn't really motivated to try making it, until now...
Another thing... Caramel... Not a very simple thing. I mean, its simple but the process...You have to be very careful that you dont end up with really bitter and burnt sugar instead of caramel!!
Ingredients:
250gm sugar
50ml water

3 egg yolks
3 eggs
120gm sugar
2tsp vanilla
380ml milk
                                                       380ml half and half (or cream & milk mixed)
Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 180 degree C.
  2. In a small saucepan, combine water and sugar, then swirl the pan until sugar is dissolved. Cover the pan and cook over medium heat until thick and large bubbles form. Then uncover the pan and continue to cook until it becomes a rich brown colour.
  3. Pour into the bottom of the mould. Rotate to cover the bottom of the pan and up the sides a little.
  4. Whisk eggs, egg yolks, sugar until well blended. Heat vanilla, milk and half and half until hot to touch. Do not boil. Slowly add to the egg mixture.
  5. Pour the custard into the prepared mould. Place mould in a baking pan. Boil water and pour in the pan so its halfway up the sides of the mold.
  6. Bake for 20-30 mins. Insert a kinfe and if it comes out clean its done.
  7. Cool completely, then chill in a refrigerator.
  8. Invert over a platter with sides to catch the caramel sauce.
Enjoy!!

4 comments:

  1. Hey!! I've been meaning to make coconut flan this week! I'm a bit queasy about making caramel... so maybe I could just use some maple sauce? Anyway, good job Preethy!! Can't wait for the next recipe!
    -Vivien

    ReplyDelete
  2. maple 'syrup' I mean. Or even some 'golden syrup'... I guess that would be the closest substitute. -Viv again

    ReplyDelete
  3. U can try it but I think the custard would be too sweet. The bitter caramel balances the sweetness of the custard.

    ReplyDelete